Wednesday, May 1, 2013

Thematic Photographic 242: Vegetative Melbourne

Carmi's latest theme suits me. I've just come back from a holiday in Melbourne, Australia,
where I found lots to photograph in the way of growing things. 

Early morning light showed off the trees in the Treasury Gardens beautifully:



I love the Conservatory in the Fitzroy Gardens -
there are always wonderful displays (and it's warm!)





Nearby, Captain Cook's cottage has some spectacular vegetation around it.
There's a statue of the old explorer himself, keeping watch:




On my walkabouts I saw many of Melbourne's old terraced houses:


Along the banks of the Yarra River the trees are beginning to change colour:




Lastly - the produce in the organic hall at the Queen Victoria market
is so fresh that it's practically still growing:


For other people's vegetative musings go here.

“Ideas, like individuals, live and die. They flourish, according to their nature, in one soil or climate and droop in another. They are the vegetation of the mental world.”
~William MacNeile Dixon

17 comments:

  1. Ohhhh..... these photos are wonderful - to see the Aussie trees, Fitzroy gardens and Queen Vic markets.... *sniffle*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I want to live in Melbourne...

      Delete
    2. I have lots more market pics - they will keep for another post :)

      Delete
  2. Good to see Captain Cook's cottage again among the trees. We live within 10 miles of where the cottage used to be in England. We visit the Capt Cook Museum regularly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is certainly a really lovely setting for it. I'll have to put the Capt Cook Museum on my list for when I come to the UK!

      Delete
  3. Captain Cook had a pretty solid cottage!

    Looks like you had a great trip, Alexia.
    ~

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, you sure made this week's theme for me. I usually enjoy them all but really felt horrible to try and bring forth new vegetation photos! Now Captain Cook what an amazing cottage he had. I would really enjoy seeing it all, and of course grabbing photos too. All your photos are breath-taking-magic right before our eyes. Excellent display! Thanks so much for being a day-brightener for me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Karen - you brighten people's days all the time with your great posts, so I really appreciate this comment xo

      Delete
  5. Great photos, Alexia. I'm glad you enjoyed your visit to our fair shores. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful trees and buildings. Captain Cook's cottage, and the terraced houses, are awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I went to Melbourne several years ago. I especially loved the Queen Victoria market and all the restaurants. A very nice city!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love it - even though it can be pretty cold in winter!

      Delete

It's great when you leave a note!